This Thursday, the home of Chivas Rayadas del Guadalajara will be celebrating its first 10 years, a period during which it has held multiple events that without a doubt are a fundamental part of the history of Mexico’s most popular and beloved team. Let’s recap the top 10 moments of El Rebaño during the first decade of our Fortaleza Sagrada.
Opening Match / July 30th, 2010.
- What an amazing night it was for the Rojiblanco squad with a 3-2 victory over Manchester United. The goal scorers for Chivas were Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez, who played the first half with the Guadalajara shirt as a farewell to Chivas fans following his transfer to the English team, Adolfo ‘Bofo’ Bautista and team captain, Hector Reynoso.
Copa Libertadores Final / August 11th, 2010.
- The first official international match held in Chivas brand-new stadium was no other than the first leg of the Copa Libertadores de America Final against Internacional de Porto Alegre, a match during which ‘Bofo’ Bautista scored for the Tapatio side.
Clasico Nacional Matchweek 13 CL2011 / April 10th, 2011.
- A goal fest slash huge win for Chivas during the first visit of their sporting nemesis, America, to Estadio Akron. ‘Cubo’ Torres scored one goal while Marco Fabian added two more to get an overwhelming 3-0 victory over Las Aguilas.
First Playoff Victory / May 4th, 2011.
- During the 2011 Clausura tournament, Chivas faced off against Tigres in the Quarter Finals. The first leg took place at the Fortaleza Rojiblanca, where Guadalajara triumphed 3-1. Omar Arellano, Mario de Luna and Marco Fabian scored for the home side, while Jesus Molina, current team captain of Guadalajara, pulled one back for Tigres.
Clasico Tapatio Matchweek 15 AP2012 / October 28th, 2012.
- The first Rebaño Sagrado victory over los Zorros at Akron Stadium. A solid header from Rafael Marquez Lugo and a superb goal by Marco Fabian, who from that moment on would become a constant executioner of Los Rojinegros, smashed one home straight into the top corner sealed a 2-0 victory.
Omar Bravo clinches a goal scoring record / August 12th, 2015.
- Matchweek 4 of the 2015 Apertura against Morelia stands as an unforgettable moment for the Chiverío, as the then captain Omar Bravo scored a doblete, breaking ‘Chava’ Reyes record by reaching 123 goals; thus, becoming Chivas’ All Time Top Gunner; his final record is 132.
Copa MX Final CL2017 / April 19th, 2017.
- This was the first title dispute at Akron Stadium, when Guadalajara clashed with Monarcas in the Cup Final, a trophy that found a home in Chivas’ museum following a 3-1 penalty shootout win thanks to an amazing performance of our goalie ‘Wacho’ Jiménez.
League Final MX CL2017 / May 28th, 2017.
- The second time the Fortaleza Rojiblanca hosted another Final came barely one month later, as Chivas disputed the League Title against Tigres. Guadalajara clinched the title after a 2-1 second leg victory (4-3 global) thanks to Alan Pulido and ‘Gallo’ Vázquez goals, to obtain both the League and the Cup titles, ending a 10 and half year championship drought.
Women’s League MX Final AP2017 / November 24th, 2017.
- The first tournament of the women's national championship could not have had a better ending, as Chivas achieved an amazing comeback against Pachuca with a 3-0 win (3-2 overall) at Akron Stadium during the second leg of the Final. Arlette Tovar and Norma Palafox were the scorers with two and one goals, respectively.
Concacaf 2018 Final / April 25th, 2018.
- Another International title for El Rebaño Sagrado, following a breathtaking ending in the Concacaf Champions League Final, as Toronto FC forced a penalty shootout after a 1-2 victory (3-3 aggregate) on Tapatio ground, however the All-Mexican team outscored the Canadian squad (4-2) to clinch a spot at the 2018 FIFA Club World Cup in United Arab Emirates.